Is this food or art? It’s both!
Pickled beets and eggs is great spring time recipe. Farmers markets have beautiful beets and delicious spring time eggs. And it’s sooo easy. A perfect addition to a hearty salad or a stand alone snack.
Ingredients (organic if possible)
- 6 to 8 peeled hard boiled eggs
- 5 or six medium beets boiled until tender and peeled, about 30-40 minutes. They should easily slip out of their skins, slice about 1/8″ thick.
- Reserve 1 cup beet water.
- 1 medium onion cut in half and sliced in 1/8″ thick half rounds.
- 1 cup reserved beet cooking water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine in sauce pan and bring to a boil. Take off the heat and allow to cool.
Ok. Here is what ya do…
While you’re making the brine layer whole boiled eggs, beet slices and onion slices in a Wide Mouth Half Gallon Jar .
Pour cooled brine into jar making sure it covers the top layer of eggs and vegetables. Refrigerate and allow to cure at least overnight. Will keep for several weeks. Add beets onions and sliced eggs to a leafy salad. Or as a tangy accompaniment to dinner or as a stand alone snack.
Have you ever seen anything so simultaneously beautiful and delish looking? The next time you fire up the grill and invite the neighbors over put this dish out on the picnic table and see what happens to the conversation. Then see what happens again when they have a bite.
Yet another really easy, healthy recipe that works perfectly with most diets and healthy lifestyles choices.