This quick salad will turn you into an official sauerkraut fanatic!
This is a very simple salad that is so delicious and so healthy you’ll vow to always keep a batch of sauerkraut brewing. And that’s the thing about good kraut. When you make it yourself you end up with a lot. So it’s a good idea to have several variations up your sleeve. This one is so easy it’s almost hard to call it a ‘recipe’, and you can go wild experimenting with different combinations of ingredients.
- 4 cups sauerkraut – your own sauerkraut or a good quality from the store, always found in the refrigerator section and in a glass jar. Bubbies is a good example.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 red bell pepper chopped – (or other pepper of your choice depending on your heat preference, or a 4 ounce jar of diced pimento peppers (drained) is also good in this salad.
- 1/2 cup sugar, organic turbinado raw cane sugar, or sweetener of your choice
- 1/2 cup mild olive oil or safflower oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider or white wine vinegar
Ok. Here is what ya do…
Using a large bowl, combine the sauerkraut and vegetables. Set Aside. Mix the sugar, oil and vinegar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and cool. By cooling the dressing to room temperature, you are protecting the natural probiotics in the sauerkraut, keeping more nutritional value.
Pour dressing mixture over sauerkraut and vegetables, cover and refrigerate, at least overnight. This salad keeps easily for 2 weeks and becomes even more flavorful with time.
Don’t know how to make sauerkraut? It’s easy, cheap and delicious! We’ll teach you how! Go to: Let’s Make Sauerkraut: Part 1